We are expanding our writing team to meet the growing ESG reporting and disclosure needs of our Fortune 500 and other clients. Specifically, BuzzWord is seeking a Writer, who will assist in planning, collecting, writing, and editing the content for corporate ESG/sustainability reports and related communications.
Writers are client-facing and work both independently and collaboratively as part of larger project teams. BuzzWord projects are typically 3-6 months in duration, with variable hours on a week-to-week basis depending on project needs (i.e., hours may scale up or down based on the project cycle and deliverables).
This is a project-based role as an independent contractor, paid on either fixed fee or hourly rate basis.
The ideal candidate will have substantive ESG/sustainability knowledge and experience writing about ESG/sustainability topics for corporate clients in sectors including financial services, energy, media, and consumer products.
- Working with a team of project managers, writers, copy editors, designers, and analysts to deliver consistently high-quality products and services to our clients
- Writing and editing reports, disclosures, and other communications materials in a range of styles and tones and on a broad variety of ESG/sustainability topics, as sole author or as part of a larger writing team
- Conducting desk research and subject matter expert interviews and reviewing a wide range of internal and external materials to extract and synthesize relevant information and craft a clear and coherent narrative
- Collaborating with designers to ensure the content and design align with and support one another
- 5+ years of experience writing corporate communications as an in-house, agency, or freelance communications professional. Experience writing ESG/sustainability reports preferred
- Substantive knowledge of corporate ESG/sustainability issues; familiarity with ESG frameworks (GRI, TCFD, SASB, UNGC, UN SDGs, etc.) and rankers and raters a plus
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with the ability to skillfully incorporate large volumes of information into a clear, coherent, and well-organized narrative under time constraints
- Ability to effectively describe technically complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- A strong client service orientation with a demonstrated track record of meeting deadlines
- Self-directed, highly-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to work on virtual teams
- Ability to work collaboratively and flexibly in a flat organization
- Authorized to work in the U.S
We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.